6.28.2007

singular references

I was asked to write a 200-words-or-less bio/artist statement for the exhibit described in my previous post. For most artists, myself included, writing these things is like pulling teeth. I did my best, though, and am happy to report that I got it off in time. Still, my mind keeps pulling me back to the well-worn phrase, "Trust the art not the artist."

I paint pictures of objects – still lifes. My paintings are shadow-less, realistic and spare with the intensity of a single object offset by a rich and layered background. These simple objects hang from threads and strings – they have potential, express gravity and are elevated literally and figuratively. They are singular references embodying infinite interpretations – common reference points for a diverse set of reactions.

No comments: