8.20.2017

forty

Sumac in Late August; casein on board; 6" x 9.75"
 
 
My husband's gift to me today - on my 59th birthday - was to take me out painting to Murphy-Hanrehan Park in Bloomington, Minnesota.  He found this scene for me along the horse trail and thought I'd like it because of the elevation.  He was right - a lovely mix of pathway, foreground, middle ground and background.  But it was the sumac glistening in the bright sunshine - giving them a bluish cast - that sealed the deal.
 
It won't be long when these sumac will be a fiery red.  I'd like to come back then to this same spot and same time of day.  It was a perfect place for a quiet painting get-away.  People on horseback, runners and hikers went by now and then, but for the most part I felt alone and at peace - a perfect day.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great august color.

Mary Klein said...

Thanks, David - glad you like it!

Unknown said...

Have you ever been this old before?

Mary Klein said...

Not in this lifetime 😊