7.19.2013

zooming in

Without my hard contact lenses, I can only see a few inches in front of me.  In that state, my vision is also able to act as a super magnifier - zooming in to see detail that would normally require mechanical assistance.

Last night, as I was getting ready for bed, I took out my lenses, went through my usual routine and then remembered the cocktail umbrella I'd been meaning to paint the next day.  When I found it (in the kitchen cupboard) and stretched it open I was truly amazed.  I'd never looked at one of these treasures so closely before.  Clearly assembled by hand, I could see the traces of care and precision that went into making this little gem.  I imagined the factory where it was put together - of the countless people involved in getting it from its raw materials to my hands.  I fell asleep with gratitude and awe.

On the Dotted Line; watercolor on paper; 10" x 13"

No comments: