9.18.2017

hot mess

Wild Sunflowers; casein on panel; 5" x 7"

The aluminum panels were an epic fail - a hot mess.  The paint wouldn't adhere at all.  It felt like I was trying to wrestle a greased pig.  I'm still counting it as painting number 59.  I'd spent too much time and effort on it to do otherwise.

The experience did cause me to do more research and soul searching.  Research to see if there were other supports out there well suited to casein.  And soul searching to determine why exactly I'm going down this path when the watercolor board is working so well for me.

The research led me to Ampersand Clayboard - which you can see above - under layers of paint depicting wild sunflowers.  I think if I paint consistently with this support it will yield excellent results.  It will take some time and effort to gain the proficiency I now feel I have with the watercolor board.

More soul searching will tell me if it's worth it.

No comments: