3.20.2018

graceful embrace

Entwined; casein on panel; 8" x 10"

It took seven beets to finally find these special two.  The leaves of the first three never had the turgidity I was looking for - too limp from the start.  The next four had great leaves - but two were missing their long tap roots - a feature that is so enticingly graceful to paint.  So these last two were the winners.

In design, one usually looks for odd numbers of things.  For that reason, I was skeptical about setting up this still life.  So I kind of just plopped them down not thinking much would come of it.  If you'll remember, I had already become beet-weary at this point :)  But after their unceremonious placement the magic started.  I saw the amazing gradient in the shadow where it went from a deep mixture of blues and maroons to a cerulean dazzle.  Graceful lines showed themselves everywhere - most notably in the left beet's stems draped gently over the right beet. 

I still may go over my signature with cerulean blue mixed with white.  That would settle it down on a plane with the beets.  As it is, it juts forward - as if it were painted on the glazing of the painting.  Something to think about as I pack for Cincinnati - and grate beets - recipe to follow soon: Super Slaw.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Relief from the snow and cold - from beets! It may be a rather common vegetable but makes an amazing painting!

Mary Klein said...

It was only about 10 years ago when I realized how good beets are. Before that, I'd only had pickled beets. But when I started eating them roasted and raw - oh my goodness - I was smitten! They're a regular for me now. Tomorrow I'll post my recipe for Super Slaw. I just got back from Cincinnati and I'm wiped - happy - but oh so tired! Good to hear from you, Jan - thanks so much for your comment!