5.03.2013

12 sided study

10" x 6.25" oil study on linen
This may become an under painting.  When dry, I might want to work in the design now that the facets' values are looking like creased paper.

Sometimes I miss painting cast shadows.  My models hang in large fields of color and, by design, there are no surfaces for shadows to be cast upon.  With the rare exception of a stem casting a shadow on its pear or apple, these paintings only allow for light to fall on a part of the object itself.  Without cast shadows in the field, the surrounding space seems infinite - heightening the weight of the object and the attention it attracts.

When I saw this snowflake's shadow on the wall however, I saw again the beauty of a cast shadow - how it echoes the shape of the object and cools the surface it plays upon.

No comments: