5.28.2013

pinwheel prone

Pinwheel Prone with a Thread Attached; graphite on paper; 7" x 10"

The point going off to the lower left was the hardest part to draw in this little piece.  I wanted it to "rise" off the page and that took some figuring out.

These past few drawings in graphite caused me to do a little research on papers and pencils.  I went on Etsy to see what other artists are using there.  Bristols by Winsor & Newton and Sennelier were common.   There was even a deckled bristol that sounded quite nice.  But the sweetest drawing I saw there was one done on Canson acid-free drawing paper.  Not far off from what I use: Strathmore acid-free.  I have quite a few drawing books that talk about materials too.  Bristols, watercolor paper and sketching pads were top choices there.

Wet Paint is having a Try It! night tomorrow evening (5:30 - 7:30) where you can drop in and try out some special drawing surfaces.  They'll be prepared with various Golden gessos and mediums to affect absorbancy and toothiness.  I'm thinking of going.



No comments: