8.06.2013

multiples and multiples

It's nice to have been blogging and tweeting while working on this piece.  Doing so helps me track the seemingly convoluted path it takes to arrive at a finished painting.

While I was working on the background of this piece I kept looking up at the wall at Vessel #1.  Without borrowing from it too slavishly, I wanted to use the combination of broad brushstroke and little multi-colored fragments.  I really had no idea that it would lead to thoughts about crying (tears) and thoughts about separation (tears as in "tearing something apart.")  Titles come at odd times and from strange places.  In the end, they need to provide a useful handle while adding a sense of balance to the work - or be non-descript - as in Vessel #1.

Tears; watercolor on paper; 11" x 15"

No comments: