10.31.2017

gaining perspective


Present Moment; casein tempera on board; 10" x 8"
It helps to step back from a situation to gain perspective.  Sometimes we're too emotionally involved or invested to make the best decisions.  Removing ourselves for even a short time can do wonders for our ability to problem solve. 

When I painted the box with a bow on top I was almost nose-to-nose with the model.  I was also sitting which is not the best way to paint.  It's optimal to stand so you can step back now and then and keep moving.  And as far as being too emotionally involved - that would be my love affair with the bow.  Being so caught up in its beauty, I fear I neglected to give the proper attention to the box.

So I stepped back - asked for advice - and played with scissors.  String, pins, tape, a pencil, ruler and cardboard came in to play too.  With a print out of my painting, I was able to establish vanishing points that helped the box feel more at home.

photo of perspective play
It turns out playing with perspective can be as fascinating as painting the infinite color spectrum of a white bow sitting on a red box.  A present moment sustained.


No comments: