11.27.2017

boston goodbyes

Monday night - painting in progress; casein on gessoed board; 7" x 9"
It's good to be back home - although the trip was absolutely magical.  My new granddaughter has 2 older brothers - 2 and 4 years old.  So it was a gloriously hectic time!

Before I left for Boston I attended the opening at beautiful Red Wing Arts.  I was not alone - it was a fantastically packed affair and I had the chance to see old friends and make some new ones.  Luckily for me, one of the new ones was Len Guggenberger, a fellow casein painter and multiple award winner at the National Society of Casein and Acrylic Painter's annual exhibitions.  He very kindly shared with me his experiences with different supports and generously gave me a sample of the kind he uses.

The sample Len gave me is in the photo above.  What you see are the beginnings of an interior painting of my kitchen bathed in morning light - yet obscured a bit by a pulled window shade.  I loved the effect of the plants behind the shade and how you can see the plants flattened in silhouette.  I've yet to paint the silhouettes - so don't worry if you can't make those out.

So far, this support is a dream to paint on.  I'll post the final painting - hopefully - tomorrow.

No comments: