3.31.2018

old new

Quietude; casein on panel; 9" x 12"
This is my first painting done in my new-north-light space.  The white cloth is a wrinkly sheet draped over The Great Green Room.  The north light is coming from the right and my easel was about 6 feet from the scene - with about 3 feet for me to back up occasionally and gain perspective as I painted.

Before electricity, artist studios with north light were a necessity.  They give you a continuous source of even light throughout the day.  From any other direction, the light will vary considerably - making it impossible to do a long-careful study.  This painting has a classical feeling - deriving, in part, from its placement to the sun.

The miniature orchid is in bud - and its tiny leaves are only three.  I love how this contrasts with the old-curled-up Red Oak leaf.  And the white mug is a gentle mystery.  Is it half full - half empty - completely empty?  It also makes a nice cool contrast to the warm terra cotta - and the mossy-green wall.

No comments: